War Memorials

Woodford is quite rare in that given it's relatively small size it has two War Memorials, both commemorating those who paid the ultimate price in the two major conflicts of the 20th Century.

The book "Woodford juxta Thrapston" suggests that when the first designs for a memorial were announced in the style of a crucifix there were a number of objections, especially from the large non-conforrmist segment of the population, resulting in a group calling themselves the "Comrades' Club" creating plans for their own memorial ***. Meeting at the Coach and Horses, the group formed a committee and raised funds for a Village Memorial. After petitioning the Parish Council, permission was granted for the erection of a memorial on the Village Green, and the memorial was dedicated and unveiled on 10 July 1921. The Rev Davidson (St Mary's Church, Rev Leng of the Baptist Church, Rev Wells of the Wesleyan Church and Rev Edgar Chew (Chaplain to the Forces) led the service. Music was provided by the Kettering Rifle Band and singing was lead by the Woodford Malevoice Choir,

Below are a selection of photographs taken on that day and also links to other documents.

Crowds Awaiting the Unveiling ceremony

Great crowds attended the unveiling of the Memorial on Feast Sunday, including many relatives of the fallen and former work colleagues.

The Fair was in the village for the annual Feast Celebration however, on this occasion was set up in John Frost's field. (Now the location of the Shrubberies flats and bungalows)

North and West Faces of Memorial

North Face

To the Glorious memory of those men from this parish who gave their lives in the Great War. 1914 - 1919

West Face

Walter F G Ainge, Arthur L Allen, Leonard Allen, Charles Betts, Herbert A Betts, Arthur C Braines, Herald J Dunford, John T Faulkner, William Freer, Reginald F Hobbs, Wilfred Hobbs

 

 

South and East faces of Memorial

South Face

Ernest H Houghton, Samuel Jackson, Alfred C Jakins, George W Jakins, Arthur King, William Leaton, Gaston V Leverett, Arthur J Lowe, Lawrance B Manley, William A Mehew, Reginald J Murdin

East Face

Walter H Murphy, Thomas J Parrott, Frank E Perkins, Harry Robinson, Charles E Smart, Herbert Spencer, Frank Steers, Walter W Tiney, Alfred R Waite, Harry Wood, Reginald A White, John Taylor

 

Memorial  Following Wreath Laying

 

The newspaper reports in the Kettering Guardiand and the Kettering Leader report on the wreaths which were laid once the memorial had been unveiled and dedicated.

 

 

 

 

 

Playing the Last Post

Rev G M Davidson, Rev H Leng and Colonel Romer, at the playing of the last post by the Raunds Church Lads' Brigade.

 

 

 

 

Memorial following Unveiling

Following the unveiling wreath laying took place. Many of those attending sheltered from the scorching sun under umbrellas.

 

 

 

*** Parish Council minutes suggest a different series of events as the Comrades club petitioned the Parish Council within six weeks of the end of the conflict for a site for their memorial consequently it is unlikely that a war memorial in the form of a crucifix was designed, discounted by some, a rival group formed and a memorial design created - all within six weeks. 

 

Other documents

Programme of Events

Kettering Leader Report (transcription)

Kettering Guardian (transcription)

Unveiling of memorial at St Marys Church

 

The memorial at the Parish Church was unveiled at 3.30pm on Saturday October 15th, 1921, by Colonel S Stopford-Sackville following the dedication by the Bishop of Peterborough

 

 

 

Other Documents

Programme of events